Tuesday 6 November 2012

SEO - Get ready for the local market

With more than half of the people fighting for the top search engine positions for global searches, we see that the competition is really tough. I have been there, and am still there, but what did I get. Yes, free web traffic was the fruit of my effort and I did get healthy business from the 1st spot there. Yet, I think things could have been better, if I had at first understood the importance of being on top for local searches too.

Why did not it cross my mind that most of my buyers, my customers and the prospects will be the people living in the area and the city where my business exists? I am not one of the Fortune 500 companies; neither am I a global brand like Apple or Dell. I am a medium sized local business who has gained online visibility though hard effort and by spending valuable time in learning the trade.

Local SEO has its own importance. It brings more locals into your net. When we were discussing business, this weekend, my friends and I concluded that lets take a turn and get our local SEO in place. We all agreed to follow the footsteps of Mr. Green, the owner of the printing company, who has launched every campaign for the locals. In return, he has not got people from all over the country talking to him about getting their printing jobs done. He is sending business cards all over the US and the Canada.

He told us that he put the company up on the Google Maps and Google local listings. Yahoo local was his next target. Now, he said, Google+ is giving him more advantage. He and many of his customers are there and share information. I am loving it. Additionally, Facebook, Twitter and my printing blog has got me many local customers.

I think it’s worth the effort, he said and suggested that by far our efforts have worked for global seo positioning, why we don’t get a few pages up with local SEO tags, build a Google+ profile and also get listed in Google Maps.

The rest would be easy for us as we a familiar with the tips and tricks of SEO. Our market concentration will change, the basics will remain the same, he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment